The Amazing Health Benefits of Jamun
A nutritious fruit, jambu or jamun is full of enormous health benefits and is native to the Indian subcontinent and other adjoining parts of South East Asia. Though there are several types of jamun fruits which differ in colour and size, the different parts of the jamun tree like its leaves, bark and seeds are used to treat ailments and several disorders. Here are a few health benefits of this seasonal fruit that can also be made into jellies and jams.
- Healthy amount of nutrients like calcium, iron, and vitamin C, which makes it a great immune boosting fruit
- Contains nutrients which kill harmful bacteria present in the body
- Jamun seeds and the bark and leaves of the Jamun tree are used in the treatment of diabetes, constipation, skin infections, hypertension, cold and cough
- The good levels of antioxidants and phytochemicals in this fruit help in reducing the risk of cancer
- Jamun leaves are also used as Ayurvedic medicine and used in the treatment of diarrhoea and ulcers
- The powder of the bark from the jamun tree mixed with jamun juice is used in the treatment of cold and cough. It also helps in treating urinary disorders
- The juice of this fruit ‘s a natural astringent and can be used as mouthwash to eliminate bad breath; also the pulp is good for curing bleeding gums
- Jamun seed powder is used to treat digestive disorders. Also, the mixing of this powder with yogurt helps in curing kidney stone disorders
- The darker Jamun fruit contains anthocyanins which is a powertul antioxidant that works wonders in preventing premature ageing. It also protects from harmful effects of free radicals.
- Jamun contains a good amount of potassium and thus helps in preventing hypertension.
- Vitamin A, C and other minerals present in jamuns are beneficial for healthy eyes and skin.
- Helps to enhance insulin activity and sensitivity.
- Jamun seeds powder can be taken as an adjuvant for type 2 diabetes, whether it is insulin dependent or non-insulin dependent .
- Both the seeds and leaves of the jamun fruit help improve urine function. It also clears out the toxins from the body.
- This fruit is also known as a blood purifier and antidiabetic fruit; it protects the liver from damage too.
Kale: Health benefits, nutrition, diet, risks and precautions