Put A Spring Back In Your Step With Spring Onions!
“spring onions contain many important minerals and vitamins and are also loaded with a good amount of dietary fibre, iron, magnesium, potassium, thiamin, riboflavin, phosphorous and copper”
The spring onion plant is very nutritious, it comprise small onions with long green leaves. These onions are in fact very young onions, harvested before the bulb Is formed. Spring onions are rich in nutrients and are mostly used raw as part of salads and salsa. They contain many important minerals and vitamins which are vital for life and are also loaded with a good amount of dietary fibre, iron, magnesium, potassium, thiamin, riboflavin, phosphorous and copper. Thus, these onions not only taste great but also provide a lot of benefits to the body.
Good For The Heart
Vitamin C present in spring onions helps in lowering blood pressure and high cholesterol levels in the body, which in turn lowers the risk of cardiac problems. Spring onions are also powerhouse of antioxidants which help in averting the damage of DNA and cellular tissue by preventing free radical damage.
Lowers The Risk Of Cancer
Spring onions contain powerful sulphuric compounds called allyl sulphide which help in reducing the risk of developing colon cancer. It also has cancer preventive properties like flavonoids that inhibits the production of xanthine oxidase enzyme which damages the DNA and cellular tissue by producing free radicals.
Improves Bone Density
Spring onions are a good source of vitamin K and vitamin C and both these vitamins are equally important for proper bone functioning. Helping in synthesis of collagen, vitamin C helps promote stronger bones, whereas vitamin K maintains bone density.
Other Health Benefits
- Some carotenoids like zeaxanthin and leutin present in spring onions render an eye protective effect.
- Vitamin A is very important to maintain good vision and spring onions contain it in good proportion.
- Spring onions are also rich in some anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties.
- Thus, it finds place among the natural remedies that are used to treat bacterial and viral infections like cold, flu etc.
- These onions contain high levels of allicin, which is good for the skin as it protects the skin from wrinkling.
- Spring onions are also rich source of phytochemicals, especially flavonoid compounds like anthocyanins and quercetin, which are naturally occurring plant chemicals that may support the function of the immune system.