How Makhana Can Improve Your Health
“Makhana are low in sugar, saturated fat and cholesterol, making it a healthy option for fitness conscious people”
Obtained from the lotus flower, lotus seeds are also known as makhana. These seeds are a powerhouse of important minerals and nutrients and a good source of protein, phosphorus, magnesium and potassium. Makhana are also low in sugar, saturated tat and cholesterol, making it a healthy option for fitness conscious people. It can be eaten in a raw or cooked form.
- Regular consumption of lotus seeds helps to flush out excess amounts of sodium present in the body and also aids In muscle contractions.
- The high levels of magnesium and potassium in lotus seeds greatly benefit the heart and regulates blood pressure too.
- The magnesium and folate content of lotus seeds lower the risk of coronary heart disease and other problems associated with the heart.
- The magnesium present in lotus seeds acts as a natural channel blocker and improves the flow of oxygen by boosting blood circulation. It also ensures efficient flow of nutrients to other parts of the body.
- The lotus seeds contain kaemferol, a natural flavanoid that prevents inflammation and thus it helps in relieving arthritis too.
- Lotus seeds contain isoquinoline alkaloids, which helps in the dilation process of the blood vessels and this makes you feel rejuvenated.
- These seeds have a calming effect and are antispasmodic which means, your nerves relax better and you get better sleep.
- Lotus seeds are low on the glycemic index and slowly release energy levels in your body. making you feel energetic throughout the day
- Regular consumption of lotus seeds gives you a feeling of being full and hence contributes to weight loss.
Lotus seeds contain an anti-ageing enzyme (L-isoaspartyl methyl transferase) which helps to repair damaged protein. And because of this quality, many cosmetic companies are now finding a way to include lotus seeds in their anti-ageing products.