Green Nutrient Powerhouses
By definition, ‘superfoods’ refers to those less caloric and nutrient-dense foods that promote bodily reactions that happen inside us and those foods which help us achieve optimal health and well-being. Here are some top green superfoods which can provide plenty of benefits if taken in the right amount.
Green tea is dried leaves of tea that does not undergo fermentation, unlike black tea while processing. It is rich in the antioxidant catechin and its derivatives.
- Protective against CVD, Alzheimer’s disease, type II diabetes and cancers, specially colorectal, prostate, and breast cancer.
- Burns fat and promotes physical performance
- Improves brain function
A maximum of three cups can be consumed in a day before or after two hours of a meal.
Spiruhna is green-blue algae that grows in fresh water. It is available in powder or tablet form and is loaded with 65 to 71 per cent of complete protein, iron and vitamin B complex and carotenoids.
- Eliminates candida
- Boost the immune system
- Help to maintain normal blood pressure
- Reduces the body’s LDL and triglyceride levels
- Effective against allergic reaction like rhinitis
Not more than five grams a day, whether in powder or tablet form.
Basil or tulsi is one of oldest herbs of India and is used in Ayuiveda since a hundred years, due to its medicinal properties.
- Balances immunity
- Has healing properties against ulcers, cuts or wounds
- Effective in the treatment of colds, sore throat or fever
- Works as an anti-depressant
10-15 leaves a day or 10-20 ml of juice per day for preventive purposes or 600-1800 mg in divided doses of dried leaves for curative purposes.
This vegetable of the cabbage family is unrivalled to others in its composition and anti-inflammatory properties. Kale is an excellent source of vitamin A, C and B complex, lutein, chlorophyll and a good source of fibre, antloxidants, minerals like calcium, iron, nine essential amino acids and EFA including omega 3 fatty acids.
- Extremely good for skin and eyes
- Strengthens the immune system
- Contains cancer fighting substances
- Natural blood purifier
150 grams a day is safe, except for people with thyroid problems or those taking blood thinners, It is also better to have it in its cooked form, as cooking reduces the goitrogenic substances of kale.
This buttery green fruit can be a treat for food lovers due to its delicious taste and texture. Avocado Is also the only fruit that provides a substantial amount of healthy MUFA (healthy fat) along with nearly 20 vitamins and minerals. Among the other nutrients fibre, vitamin B6, vitamin E, vitamin K, folate and potassium are found in avocado.
- Keeps the heart healthy
- Reduces LDL and raises HDL cholesterol
- Controls blood sugar and reduces blood pressure
- Promotes improved vision
- Significantly reduce symptoms of osteoarthritis
One ounce (28 grams) three-four times a week, will help to include healthy fats in your diet, which consequently will raise the body’s protection against several diseases.
Broccoli belongs to the cabbage family whose large flowering head is eaten as a vegetable. This nutrition enriched food can be a good option for vegetarians due to its composition. It is rich in isothiocyanate, carotenoids, vitamin C, folate, fibre and calcium.
- Strong detoxifying agent
- Supports digestive system
- Ample amount of vitamin K and vitamin A in broccoli helps to retain vitamin D
- Improves bone health
- Helps to prevent metabolic syndrome
250 grams in a day can be consumed to reach its optimal activity. However, patients with thyroid problems or taking blood thinners should avoid broccoli in their diet.
Also known as the Indian gooseberry, amla is a very familiar name in Ayurveda medicine. Due to the role it plays on human health, it is classified as one of the Indian super foods. It is rich in vitamin C and minerals like calcium, iron, phosphorus and vitamin B complex.
- Purifies blood
- Delays ageing of the skin and hair
- Cures anaemia by promoting iron absorption
- Effective in treatment for gastric disorders and hyperchlorhydria
- Helps to burn body fat
- Provides relieve from colds, sore throat, asthma and bronchitis complications
A glass of amla juice twice in a day for asthma or bronchitis and once in a day for other problems is recommended.