Best Healing Herbs
Though herbs have been used for hundreds of years to heal, scientist are still discovering amazing new powers in the best healing herbs, such as the ability to kill cancer cells and to cure many more ailments. So, here are some top healing herbs along with their medicinal properties.
As the name implies, lemon grass just smells like lemons, but it is milder, sweeter and far less sour. It is used in many medicines, cuisines and beauty products and grows and spreads very fast, like any other grass.
- It work as an analgesic and relieves muscle and joint pain, toothache and headache resulting from viral infections like cough, cold, fever and influenza
- Lemon grass also has anti depressant, anti-microbial, anti bacterial, anti-septic and anti-pyretic properties, which is the agent that brings down very high fever
- Lemon grass oil is a galactogogue – a substance that increases milk formation in breasts. Hence, it ensures that the milk quality is better and more beneficial. This aspect of lemon grass is a source of vital nourishment for lactating mothers and feeding babies.
- Lemon grass also works as a natural diuretic.
The Indian gooseberry is more popularly known as Amla. It has many health benefits and Ayurveda has proved Amla to be an effective medicine. it is also used in culinary arts, cuisines, pickles and most effectively as a medicine. Hundred grams of Amla contains almost 600mg of vitamin C, thus making it the richest source of ascorbic acid.
- Due to its high vitamin C content, Amla proves to be very effective in controlling diabetes. If it is consumed regularly, it affects the stimulation of the pancreas and capacitates the secretion of insulin, thus reducing the sugar level in the body
- It maintains all the vital organs of the body and is especially considered to be a good remedy against heart disease
- Amla is also very beneficial in treating conjunctivitis and glaucoma, by reducing intraocular tension
- It also helps prevent ageing and improves metabolism which proves to be a boon in controlling weight
- It enhances immunity too
Commonly known as tulsi in Ayurveda, basil is known as the queen of herbs.
- The natural treatment for acidity is to chew a few basil (tulsi) leafs after a meal. It works as an antacid and also helps the body to absorb food
- The herb is also used for patients with fever, sinus, congestion, malaria, headaches, arthritis, lung problems, abdominal distention and gastric disorders
- It treats indigestion, nausea, vomiting, depression, stomach cramps, short-term and long-term anxiety and insomnia
- TuIsi has been traditionally used for the supplementary treatment of stress asthma and diabetes
- Basil is also used in large quantities as a tonic and remedy for a cold
This herbal remedy is said to improve memory problems related to ageing.
- It increases blood flow to the brain, as well as to the arms and legs, by regulating the tone and elasticity of blood vessels
- Current research is on-going with regard to the herb ginkgo’s ability to prevent blood clots that may help prevent heart attacks and stroke.
- Due to its anticoagulant effect, ginkgo should not be taken concurrently with blood thinners
- • This herb is one of the best natural medications for diabetes. It is known to have a regenerative effect on the pancreas beta cells and also enhances and stimulates the production of insulin activity
- Gudmar is useful in hepatosplenomegaly, dyspepsia, constipation, jaundice, halminthiasis, cardiopathy and amenorrhoea
- Gudmar juice helps avoid constipation
- It can treat the problems like obesity, high cholesterol levels, anaemia, hyper glycaemia, indigestion and also regulates weight
A deciduous perennial herb, ginger is well-known as an herb that has many remedies against certain diseases. It is very rich in potassium, magnesium, calcium and folate.
- Ginger contains a substance called gingerol which helps in dysmenorrhea and menstrual cramps. It is also safe to take ginger during pregnancy for relief from nausea
- This herb is very effective for colds, infections, flu, coughs and chills, loss of appetite, irritable bowel, dyspepsia, indigestion and gastrointestinal problems
- It is used as an anti-coagulant (blood thinner) and also has a property to lower cholesterol levels, which is why it is used in treating heart diseases
- Ginger has anti-cancerous properties too
Celery is known as a powerful healing herb. Dieters tend to eat lots of celery, because it is very low in calories and a good source of fibre. It is also a good source of potassium. calcium, vitamin C, beta carotene, thiamine, niacin and iron.
- This herb helps in the treatment of inflammatory arthritis, high blood pressure and oedema and increases urine output
- Celery also helps reduce the risk of certain cancers
- It has antiseptic properties to help cure mouth ulcers
- It is used in a detox diet and also prevents nausea and vomiting
- Celery also cleanses the skin and combats acne problems
- Oregano is an important culinary and medicinal herb that has been used in medicine for thousands of years.
- It is very rich in antioxidants vitamin E, vitamin K, iron, calcium, manganese, omega 3 fatty acids and fibre
- It has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancerous properties
- Oregano also helps in muscle pain, acne, dandruff, cold, bloating, fatigue, heart conditions, tooth ache, headache and allergies
- This herb also goes by the name of peppermint and contains menthol. The natural plant compound eases intestinal pain-inducing spasms. It also reduces stomach related discomforts by about 40 per cent
- Mint contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agents and some pharmacological actions of mint are antispasmodic, carminative, antiseptic, anti – inflammatory, antibacterial, influenza, antifungal, and appetizer
- Mint cures many problems such as headache, fever, heartburn, stomach ache, nausea, hot flashes, indigestion, flatulence, sore throat, common cold, asthma, anorexia, dermatitis, diarrhoea etc.