GK Current Affairs Quiz 29th December 2019 with Questions and Answers: General Knowledge section of Versionweekly aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease.
GK Current Affairs Quiz 27th December 2019
Q. Where was Reserve Bank of India located?
Answer: (b) Mumbai
Explanation: Reserve Bank of India is India’s central bank, which controls the issue and supply of the Indian rupee.
Q. When CSIR Institute was established?
Answer: (b) 1942
Explanation: Council of Scientific and Industrial Research established by the Government of India in September of 1942 autonomous body emerged as the largest research and development organisation in India.
Q. Where is the headquarters of BSNL located?
(a) New Delhi
Answer: (a) New Delhi
Explanation: Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited is an Indian state-owned telecommunications company, The company headquartered in New Delhi.
Q. Who has been named as the most famous teenager in the world by the United Nations?
(a) Greta Thunberg
(b) Malala Yousafzai
(c) Millie Bobby Brown
(d) Storm Reid
Answer: (b) Malala Yousafzai
Explanation:Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai was declared as the ‘most famous teenager in the world’ by the United Nations in its ‘decade in review’ report released on December 23, 2019. The young education activist was shot in the head by a Taliban gunman while taking a bus from school in October 2012.
Q. Which Indian cricketer was named in the Wisden’s list of five cricketers of the decade?
(a) MS Dhoni
(b) Rohit Sharma
(c) Sachin Tendulkar
(d) Virat Kohli
Answer: (d) Virat Kohli
Explanation:Indian skipper Virat Kohli has found a place in the list of five cricketers of the decade by the Wisden Cricketers’ Almanac. Virat Kohli was named in the cricketers of the decade list along with four other cricketers Steve Smith, Ellyse Perry, Dale Steyn and AB de Villiers.
Q. Who was named the captain of the Wisden Test team of the decade?
(a) Steve Smith
(b) Kumar Sangakkara
(c) Virat Kohli
(d) MS Dhoni
Answer: (c) Virat Kohli
Explanation:Virat Kohli was named as the captain of the Wisden Test team of the decade. The only other Indian to feature in the list includes Ravichandran Ashwin.
Q. When will the swearing-in ceremony of Jharkhand Chief Minister designate Hemant Soren take place?
(a) December 31st
(b) December 30th
(c) December 29th
(d) January 1st
Answer: (c) December 29th
Explanation:Hemant Soren is scheduled to take oath as Jharkhand’s new Chief Minister at 2pm on December 29, 2019 at the Morabadi Ground in Ranchi. Soren will be administered the oath of the office by Jharkhand Governor Droupadi Murmu.
Q. Which Indian Air Force aircraft was decommissioned on December 27, 2019?
Answer: (b) MiG-27
Explanation:The MiG-27 fighter jet, known as the hero of the Kargil conflict, made its final roar from Jodhpur airbase on December 27, 2019.
Q. Which state recently announced the Jyotirao Phule Kisan Loan Waiver Scheme?
(a) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: (c) Maharashtra
Explanation:Jyotirao Phule Kisan loan waiver scheme for farmers has been launched by Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray. Farmers who have taken a loan of Rs 2 lakh can avail this scheme. This scheme will be implemented in Maharashtra from March 2020.
Q. Which state has found the oldest inscription of South India?
(b) Andhra Pradesh
(d) Tamil Nadu
Answer: (b) Andhra Pradesh
Explanation:The oldest Sanskrit inscription of South India has been found by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) in Andhra Pradesh. This inscription gives information about Saptamatruka i.e. seven goddesses in Hinduism.
Q. Who obtained first place in India’s top 10 most Googled business tycoons?
(a) Mukesh Ambhani
(b) Ratan Tata
(c) Lakshmi Mittal
(d) Azim Premji
Answer: (b) Ratan Tata
Explanation: Ratan Tata obtained first place in India’s top 10 most Googled business tycoons Tata Group patriarch Google’s most searched Indian business personality in 2019. He heads the Tata Group for 21 years credited with transforming the group from a conventional corporate house into a $100 billion
Q. Who launches common e-auction platform for assets attached by banks?
(a) Ramesh Kumar
(b) Nirmala Sitharaman
(c) Prakash Javedakar
(d) Suresh Prabhu
Answer: (b) Nirmala Sitharaman
Explanation: Nirmala Sitharaman launches common e-auction platform for assets attached by banks.
Q. Which mobile service provider recently introduced Wi-Fi calling facility in India?
Answer: (b) Airtel
Explanation:Wi-Fi calling has been started in India by Bharti Airtel, this facility is being considered as a revolutionary step in this direction. No carrier network is required to avail this facility. It does not require talk time or balance.
Q. The mission to which nation has been declared as the UN’s most dangerous peacekeeping mission?
Answer: (d) Mali
Explanation:The UN has declared its peacekeeping mission in Mali as the world’s most dangerous UN mission, as over 200 peacekeepers were killed among a force of 15,000.
Q. Which tennis player has announced his decision to retire in 2020?
(a) Leander Paes
(b) Mahesh Bhupathi
(c) Sania Mirza
(d) Rohan Bopanna
Answer: (a) Leander Paes
Explanation:Leander Paes announced recently that he will quit professional tennis after the 2020 season. The 46-year-old has won 6 doubles and 10 mixed doubles Grand Slam titles.
Q. BSNL gets _______ cr from Bharat Broadband Nigam to clear BharatNet vendor dues
Answer: (b) 770
Explanation: BSNL gets 770 cr from Bharat Broadband Nigam to clear BharatNet vendor dues.
Q. Which institute created new technology to boost production of Geranium?
(a) Indian Institute of Architects
(b) All India Institute of Medical Sciences
(c) Indian Institute of Chemical Technology
(d) CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology
Answer: (d) CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology
Explanation: CSIR Institute created new technology to boost production of Geranium.Geranium plant has substantial medicinal value, and their essential oil works as an anti-inflammatory and anti-septic agent.
Q. Reserve Bank of India large cooperative banks to report all exposures of Rs ________crore
Answer: (b) 5
Explanation: Reserve Bank of India large cooperative banks to report all exposures of Rs 5 crore.Reserve Bank of India created a CRILC of commercial banks all India financial institutions, and individual non-banking financial companies with multiple objectives, which, among others, include strengthening offsite supervision and early recognition of financial distress. RBI announced that to bring UCBs with assets of Rs 500 crore and above under the CRILC reporting framework.
Q. Ratan Tata Gautam Adani among India’s top _______most Googled business tycoons
Answer: (b) 10
Explanation: ata Sons chairman Ratan Tata emerged as India’s most searched business tycoon on Google in 2019. Google released a Year in Search 2019 report shows what was trending on the world’s largest search engine during the year in India.
Q. Which country successfully launched largest carrier rocket?
(d) Indonesiawrong Image
Answer: (a) China
Explanation: China successfully launches largest carrier rocket.
Daily Current Affairs – International
Pakistan receives second tranche of $452 mn from IMF
Pakistan on received USD 452.4 million as a second tranche of the USD 6 billion loan from the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- The release of the second tranche amounting to over USD 452 million showed IMF’s confidence over the government’s economic policies.
- The IMF had approved the second tranche of the loan for Pakistan under the USD 6 billion Extended Fund Facility in a meeting of its executive board in Washington on December 20.
- Pakistan had received the first tranche from IMF under its loan program in July.
- The country has long suffered from a weak tax base, with only about one per cent of its 208 million population filing income tax returns and major industrial sectors dominated by powerful lobbies paying little or no tax.
5th Round of India-Japan Maritime Affairs Dialogue
5th Round of India-Japan Maritime Affairs Dialogue was held in Tokyo.
- Indian delegation was led by Shri Indra Mani Pandey, Additional Secretary (Disarmament and International Security Affairs), Ministry of External Affairs, while Japanese delegation was led by Ambassador Yamanaka A Osamu, Deputy Assistant Minister, Deputy Director-General in Foreign Policy Bureau.
- The two sides exchanged views on various topics of mutual interest in maritime domain and identified the means for further strengthening their maritime cooperation.
MEA includes Madagascar, Comoros in Indian Ocean Division
Ministry of External Affairs has included Madagascar and Comoros in the Indian Ocean Region Division, which looks after India’s maritime neighbours such as Sri Lanka, Maldives, Mauritius and the Seychelles.
- Earlier these two island nations were looked after by East and South Africa Division of the MEA.
- The recent step reflects the growing strategic importance of the Indian Ocean islands within the framework of Indo-Pacific.
- Seychelles, Mauritius, Madagascar, Comoros along with Reunion (French territory) are known as Vanilla Islands and are members of the Indian Ocean Commission.
Daily Current Affairs – National
Indian Air Force Bids farewell to MiG 27
The MiG-27, which proved to be an ace attacker during the 1999 Kargil War roared through the skies for one last time today after serving the Indian Air Force for over three decades.
- The swing-wing fighter has been the backbone of ground-attack fleet of the Air Force for several decades and the IAF bidding adieu to its squadron of seven aircraft from Jodhpur Air Base.
- The upgraded variant of this last swing-wing fleet has been the pride of IAF strike fleet since 2006.
- All other variants, such as MiG-23 BN and MiG-23 MF and the pure MiG-27 have already retired from IAF.
- The Squadron was raised on March 10, 1958, at Air Force Station Halwara.
India ranks 47th globally in home price appreciation: Knight Frank
The Knight Frank Global House Price Index Q3 2019 released on ranked India at 47th spot among 56 countries tracked in terms of appreciation in residential real estate prices with a marginal 0.6 per cent year-on-year rise in home prices.
- India stood at 11th position in the previous edition of the report with a 7.7 per cent year-on-year rise in home prices.
- Slow sales, high inventory and lack of liquidity with developers have restricted rise in home prices.
- The Global House Price Index tracks the movement in mainstream residential prices across 56 countries and territories worldwide using official statistics.
- Hungary leads the index this quarter with 15.4 per cent annual price growth, followed by Luxembourg at 11.4 per cent and Croatia at 10.4 per cent.
All railways recruits to be inducted through UPSC
All new recruits in railways will be inducted through the UPSC civil services exams under five specialities.
- The Cabinet approved the merger of its eight services into one – the Indian Railway Management Service (IRMS).
- Candidates aspiring to get into railways will have to appear for their prelims after which they will indicate their preference for IRMS under five specialities — four of them engineering specialities for ‘technical’ operations comprising of civil, mechanical, telecom and electrical, and one ‘non-technical’ speciality which will recruit officers for accounts, personnel and traffic.
- The aspirants take the prelim and then indicate their choices.
- The first batch will be recruited in 2021.
National Tribal Dance Festival begins in Raipur
National Tribal Dance Festival has begun in Raipur, the capital of Chhattisgarh.
- Congress leader Rahul Gandhi inaugurated the festival.
- The inaugural function was presided over by Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel.
- The National Tribal Dance Festival is being organized in Chhattisgarh for the first time.
- More than 1300 participants from 25 states & UTs of the country and six countries are participating in this three-day dance fest.
India’s first university for transgender community to come up in UP’s Kushinagar district
The country’s first university for transgender community will be opened in Uttar Pradesh’s Kushinagar district.
- It will facilitate its members to study right from class one to PG and even do research and get a PhD degree.
- The university is being built by the Akhil Bhartiya Kinnar Siksha Seva Trust (All-India transgender education service trust).
Earliest Sanskrit Inscriptions in South India Found in A.P.
The Epigraphy Branch of the Archaeological Survey of India has discovered the earliest epigraphic evidence so far for the Saptamatrika cult.
- The inscription was discovered in Chebrolu village in Guntur district of Andhra Pradesh.
- Saptamatrikas are a group of seven female deities worshipped in Hinduism as personifying the energy of their respective consorts.
- The inscription is in Sanskrit and in Brahmi characters and was issued by Satavahana king Vijaya in 207 A.D.
- It is also the earliest Sanskrit inscription to have been discovered in South India as on date.
Boxer Sumit Sangwan banned for one year for consuming prohibited substance
Former Asian Games silver medalist boxer Sumit Sangwan has been banned for one year with immediate effect by the National Anti Doping Agency (NADA) for failing doping test.
- Sangwan’s sample was collected by the body on October 10 during the Elite Men Boxing Championship.
- The governing body for the anti-doping in sports announced its decision.
- The boxer who was set to appear for the Tokyo Olympics 2020 and was named in the Olympics Qualifiers list will surely miss the event.