Daily Vocabulary from The Hindu – 11th November, 2019
1. Chastise (verb): Meaning: To criticize someone severely. (भर्त् करना, ननिंा करना)
Synonyms: Censure, Rebuke, Upbraid, Reprimand
Antonyms: Praise, Commend, Eulogise, Applaud
Example: The father chastised his son for his misconduct.
2. Hobgoblin (Noun): Meaning: (in stories) a small, ugly creature that causes trouble. (निशाच)
Synonyms: Imp, Sprite, Goblin, Elf, Leprechaun
Example: Why is Hobgoblin still using his old outfit?
3. Stifling (adjective): Meaning: Making one feel oppressed. (दमनकारी)
Synonyms: Repressive, Domineering, Unbearable, Overpowering
Antonyms: Liberating, Permissive, Lenient
Example: The level of control exercised by the parties was absolutely stifling.
4. Enduring (adjective): Meaning: Existing for a long time. (नचरस्ायी)
Synonyms: Lasting, Persistent, Durable, Long-Term
Antonyms: Short-Lived, Transitory, Ephemeral, Transient
Example: I shall be left with many enduring memories of the time I spent in India.
5. Indigenous (adjective): Meaning: Originating or occurring naturally in a particular place; native. (स्वशी, स्ानीय)
Synonyms: Aboriginal, Primeval, Primordial, Home-Grown
Antonyms: Expatriate, Migrant, Adventitious, Alien
Example: Kangaroos are indigenous to Australia.
6. Contradict (verb): Meaning: Claim the opposite of a statement made by (someone). (खिंन करना)
Synonyms: Oppose, Gainsay, Controvert, Impugn
Antonyms: Admit, Affirm, Concede, Consent
Example: He did not contradict her but just said nothing.
7. Lodestar (Noun): Meaning: A person or thing that serves as an inspiration or guide. (मार्दशसक)
Synonyms: Guide, Role Model, Luminary, Exemplar, Ideal
Antonyms: Follower, Admirer, Believer, Fan
Example: She was his intellectual lodestar.
8. Contempt (Noun): Meaning: The feeling that a person or a thing is worthless or beneath consideration. (निरस्क)
Synonyms: Disrespect, Disdain, Scorn, Condescension
Antonyms: Admiration, Esteem, Reverence, Veneration, Deference
Example: Pam stared at the girl with total contempt.
9. Shun (verb): Meaning: To avoid something. (टालना, िरहेज करना)
Synonyms: Avoid, Eschew, Shirk, Steer Clear of, Fight Shy of
Antonyms: Seek, Pursue, Aspire, Go After
Example: She shunned fashionable society.
10. Prompt (verb): Meaning: Cause someone to take a course of action. (प्ररि करना)
Synonyms: Induce, Dispose, Lead, Stimulate, Prod
Antonyms: Discourage, Deter, Dissuade, Put off
Example: Winning prize prompted him to work laboriously.