Daily Current Affairs – International
QS World University Rankings for Asia has been released
The National University of Singapore is ranked Asia’s best for the second consecutive year. It is followed by Nanyang Technological University, which has risen from 3rd to 2nd; and the University of Hong Kong.
- 96 Indian institutions rank among 550 for the continent.
- India does not yet have a university among the top 30.
- The best performing institution from India is IIT Bombay, which drops one place to 34th position. It is followed by IIT Delhi at 43rd place and IIT Madras at 50th.
Daily Current Affairs – National
Global Diplomacy Index 2019
The 2019 Global Diplomacy Index was released by Sydney-based Lowy Institute. The index gives the latest statistics and marking about how the world’s diplomatic networks are expanding and, in certain cases, shrinking.
- The index ranked 61 countries across the world.
- China now has more diplomatic posts across the world than United States in 2019. China has overtaken United States with 276 embassies and consulates worldwide, which is 3 more than US (both countries have an equal number of embassies but China has 3 more consulates).
- India was ranked 12th among the 61 countries. As of 2019, India has 123 embassies and high commissions and 54 consulates globally.
United Nations Development Programme launches Accelerator Lab in India to work on tackling pollution
The project was launched in collaboration with the government’s Atal Innovation Mission and will look to solve issues through innovative solutions.
- Seeking to address some of the most pressing issues facing India, including air pollution, through innovation, the UNDP launched the country chapter of its Accelerator Lab here.
- The laboratory that will be housed in the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) office here has partnered with Indian government’s Atal Innovation Mission to achieve the objectives.
Aditya Birla Finance becomes first company to list commercial papers on exchanges
Aditya Birla Finance Ltd. became the first company to list a commercial paper on the National Stock Exchange. The paper will mature in February next year.
- The move comes after the exchanges — the BSE and the NSE — came out with a framework for listing of commercial papers (CPs), in a bid to broaden investors’ participation in such securities.
- ABFL is a well-diversified non-banking finance company (NBFC) with a long-term credit rating of AAA (stable) from both ICRA as well as India Ratings.
- Commercial papers can be issued for maturities between a minimum of 7 days and a maximum of up to one year from the date of issue. CP are usually issued at a discount from face value and reflects prevailing market interest rates.
RIL becomes first Indian company to hit Rs 10 lakh crore market cap
It became the first India Company to reach the coveted milestone.
- RIL was also the first company to reach Rs 8 lakh crore mark in August last year. It was also the first company to hit the $100 billion mark in market-cap in 2007, a feat it repeated last July.
Incidents of bribery in India reduced by 10% since last year: Survey
Incidents of bribery in the country have reduced by 10 per cent since last year, according to a survey carried out in 20 states.
- The ‘India Corruption Survey 2019’, which received 1, 90,000 responses from people in 248 districts, also stated that 51 per cent Indians paid bribe in the last 12 months.
- Transparency International India (TII) and LocalCircles conducted the survey.
- India’s ranking in the Corruption Perception Index 2018, released by TII, has improved three places compared to last year and now, the country’s standing is 78 among 180 nations.
NuGen Mobility Summit-2019 being held in Haryana
Union Minister of Road Transport & Highways and Shipping, Nitin Gadkari inaugurated NuGen Mobility Summit-2019 at International Center of Automotive Technology (ICAT) in Manesar, Haryana.
- This three-day conference will be held from 27 to 29 November 2019.
- The conference is the largest automotive technology event in country so far.
- The event is being organized by ICAT on relevant topics of Alternate Fuel Systems and e-Mobility.
- It is first in a series of conference organized by ICAT.
1st International Conference on Landslides Risk Reduction and Resilience
The 1st International Conference on ‘Landslides Risk Reduction and Resilience – 2019’ was held in New Delhi.
- It was inaugurated by Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, G. Kishan Reddy.
- The first of its kind conference was organized by National Institute of Disaster management (NIDM).
Daily Current Affairs – Awards
Particles’ wins the Golden Peacock Award at IFFI 2019
Particles’ directed by Blaise Harrison and produced by Estelle Fialon has won the coveted Golden Peacock Award at the 50th International Film Festival of India (IFFI), which concluded in Goa on November 28, 2019.
- The Golden Peacock Award carries a cash prize of Rs 40 lakhs to be shared equally between the Director and the Producer, Trophy and the citation.
- Seu Jorge gets Best Actor (Male) Award
- Usha Jadhav gets Best Actor (Female) Award.
Daily Current Affairs – Appointments
Tata Comm board appoints A S Lakshminarayanan as MD and CEO
- The Board of Tata Communications (Tata Comm) appointed Amur Swaminathan Lakshminarayanan as the managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of the telecom company for a term of five years with effect from 26 November 2019.
- Prior to joining Tata Comm, Lakshminarayanan was the president and CEO of TCS, Japan where he was in charge of accelerating the company’s market opportunity and developing the brand in the region.
Uddhav Thackeray takes oath as Maharashtra CM
- Shiv Sena Chief and Maha Vikas Aghadi nominee Uddhav Thackeray took oath as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra.
- He is the 19th Chief Minister of Maharashtra.
- He was named as the leader of the Shiv Sena-NCP-Congress alliance called the ‘Maha Vikas Aghadi’.
- Governor of Maharashtra Bhagat Singh Koshyari administered the oath to Thackeray at Shivaji Park, Dadar in Central Mumbai.
- He is the first Thackeray family member to become Maharashtra’s CM.
- The alliance is yet to decide the candidate for the Deputy CM post.
Daily Current Affairs – Sports
Asian Championships: Deepika strikes gold, Ankita wins silver in archery
Indian archers Deepika Kumari and Ankita Bhakat won the gold and silver medals respectively in the women’s individual recurve event of the 21st Asian Championships in Bangkok.
- The Indian trio of Deepika, Ankita and Laishram Bombayala Devi competed under a neutral flag due to the current suspension of the Archery Association of India (AAI), which is in administrative turmoil right now.
- The Berlin stage of the 2020 World Cup is the last qualifying event in Archery.
Daily Current Affairs – Economy
Moody’s expects Centre’s fiscal deficit to rise to 3.7%
- Global rating agency Moody’s expects the Centre’s fiscal deficit to touch 3.7% of the GDP.
- The Centre has targeted to keep the deficit at 3.3 per cent for the current fiscal (2019-20), but it has already reached 92.6 per cent of the Budget estimate in first six months of the current fiscal.
- For all the state governments, the fiscal deficit estimated to be around 3 %.
- A fiscal deficit is a shortfall in a government’s income compared with its spending.
- It is calculated as a percentage of GDP, or simply as total dollars spent in excess of income.
Daily Current Affairs – Defence
Indian Army successfully test-fired 2 Spike LR missile in MP
- The Indian Army has successfully test-fired 2 Spike long-range anti-tank missiles at Mhow in Madhya Pradesh.
- Spike is a 4th-generation missile which can engage any target with precision at ranges up to 4 km. India became the 33rd country to have the Spike missile as part of its inventory.
- The missile has the ability to fire, observe and update, providing substantial flexibility to the firer to pinpoint the impact point.
- It also has the ability to switch to a different target mid-flight.
- The firer has the option of firing from a low or high trajectory.
Daily Current Affairs – Science and Technology
ISRO transfer space-grade Li-Ion cell technology to BHEL
- ISRO has transferred its indigenous technology to produce space-grade Li-Ion cells to Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL).
- In March 2018, BHEL signed the Technology Transfer Agreement with ISRO for acquiring the Li-Ion Cell production technology.
- This production facility is primarily targeting to meet Li-Ion Cell requirements for ISRO and other strategic sectors.
- BHEL can also produce and sell Li-Ion cells for meeting other national/commercial applications by suitably modifying the space-grade cell which can lead to cost reduction.
- BHEL is in the process of establishing the Li-Ion production facility near Bangalore in Karnataka.
Daily Current Affairs Summits and Conferences
G K Reddy inaugurates 1st Intl. Conf on “Landslides Risk Reduction and Resilience”
- Minister of State for Home Affairs, inaugurated the 1st International Conference on “Landslides Risk Reduction and Resilience” in New Delhi.
- The Conference called for developing technology to anticipate disasters like landslides and develop infrastructure to quickly respond to minimise the damage.
- The landslides have attracted global attention as they may cause huge havoc on communities, livestock, environment leading to huge loss of lives.
- This conference will go a long way in finding long term solutions to natural disasters.
Daily Current Affairs – Books and Authors
MHRD launches 3 books for children namely Kumbh, Garam Pahad and Dilli ki Bulbul
- Union HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ launched 3 books which are a collection of stories for Children namelyKumbh, Garam Pahad and Dilli ki Bulbul (Sindhi edition) in New Delhi.
- Authored by a popular writer of children’s books and travelogues Dr. Anita Bhatnagar Jain.
- She is an officer of Indian Administrative Services (1985 batch).
- The three books are a collection of stories for children and have brought out environmental issues and topics like socio-cultural unity& cultural heritage in a very simple and interesting manner.
Daily Current Affairs – Obituaries
Renowned cartoonist Sudhir Dar passes away
- Renowned cartoonist Sudhir Dar whose works graced several newspapers in a career spanning 58 years, passed away.
- He began his career with The Statesman in 1961 after which he moved to Hindustan Times.
- His cartoons have also appeared in The Independent, The Pioneer, Delhi Times, New York Times, Washington Post and Saturday Review among others.
Tamil actor & theatre artist Bala Singh passes away
- Veteran Tamil actor and theatre artist Bala Singh passed away.
- Bala, an alumnus of National School of Drama(NSD) started his career as a theatre artist.
- He rose to fame in actor Nasser’s Avatharam(1995), where he played the role of a villain. It was also his debut film.
World-renowned rock climber Brad Gobright passes away in Mexico fall
- A world-renowned rock climber, US national Brad Gobright, fell to his death while climbing a sheer rock face in northern Mexico.
- He was known for his gravity-defying solo ascents with no ropes.