Daily Current Affairs – International
World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims: 17 November 2019
The World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims was observed on 17 November 2019.
- It is observed every year on the third Sunday of November.
- The day remembers those who died or were injured from road crashes.
- 2019 theme: ‘Life is not a car part’
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 19th November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 18th November 2019
- Daily Current Affairs 18th November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 17th November 2019
- Daily Current Affairs 17th November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 16th November 2019
- Daily Top Current Affairs 16th November 2019
Daily Current Affairs – National
Government of India to extend Visa-on-Arrival facility to UAE nationals
Government of India has decided to extend the Visa-on-Arrival facility to nationals of the United Arab Emirates.
- This facility is aimed at further strengthening people to people and trade links as well as strategic ties between the two countries.
- Visa-on-Arrival is available to UAE nationals for a period of up to 60 days with double entry for business, tourism, conference and medical purposes.
- This facility is available at six designated International Airports namely, Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata and Mumbai.
- Visa-on-Arrival is available only to those UAE nationals who have earlier obtained an e-Visa or a normal paper Visa for India, irrespective of whether the person actually visited India or not.
6th ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting-Plus to be held in Thailand
The 6th ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meeting-Plus (ADMM-Plus) will be held in Bangkok, Thailand.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh along with 17 other Defence Ministers of ADMM-Plus countries will attend the meeting.
- Mr Singh reviewed the entire gamut of bilateral defence relations with the respective leaders and discussed ways to further improve the ties.
Yogi Adityanath inaugurates North India’s 1st sugar mill which will produce ethanol
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has inaugurated North India’s first sugar mill which will produce ethanol direct from sugarcane.
- The mill was inaugurated in Pipraich area of Gorakhpur.
- This mill will produce around 95,000 litres of ethanol per day.
- This ethanol will be used in blending with petrol.
Daily Current Affairs – Appointments
Gotabaya Rajapaksa sworn-in as new President of Sri Lanka
Gotabaya Rajapaksa sworn-in as new President of Sri Lanka at Anuradhapura.
- Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa and several MPs will be present on the occasion as Anuradhapura holds significance as a sacred city for Buddhism.
- Previously, Sri Lanka’s former Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa has won the Presidential election.
- He is the brother of former President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
- Gotabaya got 52.25 per cent of the total valid votes.
Justice Bobde sworn-in as the new Chief Justice of India
Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde took oath as the 47th Chief Justice of India.
- Justice Bobde succeeds CJI Ranjan Gogoi.
- Justice Bobde will have a tenure of over 17 months as the CJI and is due to retire on April 23, 2021.
- Justice Bobde was elevated as a Judge of the Supreme Court on April 12, 2013.
- He was part of the five-judge constitution bench which delivered the landmark Ayodhya verdict.
Justice Dr Ravi Ranjan takes oath as Chief Justice of Jharkhand HC
Justice Dr Ravi Ranjan took oath as the Chief Justice of Jharkhand High Court.
- He was administered the oath of office by Governor Draupadi Murmi in a simple ceremony at Raj Bhawan.
- Justice Dr Ravi Ranjan has been appointed as the 13th Chief Justice of the Jharkhand High Court.
- The post was lying vacant since May this year after the former Chief Justice, Anirudh Bose was appointed as a judge of the Supreme Court.
- Justice Dr Ravi Ranjan was a judge in the Punjab and Haryana High Court.
Sarita Devi elected as a member of AIBA athletes commission
Laishram Sarita Devi of Manipur is among the six boxers from 5 continents who were elected as members of AIBA Athletes Commission.
- Laishram Sarita Devi was inspired by Muhammad Ali’s achievements and turned professional in boxing in the year 2000.
- She is DSP in Manipur Police.
- The election of the Athletes Commission members was organized during AIBA Men and Women World Boxing Championships 2019 in Russia.
- Boxers from all over the world voted for new members – one per continent, except Europe which has two representatives.
Daily Current Affairs – Sports
Harmeet Desai claims Indonesia Open TT Championship
Harmeet Desai defeated A. Amalraj in the final of the ITTF Challenge Indonesia Open table tennis championship.
- This is Harmeet’s second International title of the year, after the Commonwealth championship in July in Cuttack.
- Desai and Amalraj teamed up in the men’s doubles event and were equally impressive making it to the semi-finals.
- Playing against the talented pair of Man Ho Kwan and Siu Hang Lam of Hong Kong they lose to bow out of the tournament.
Indian women clinch five gold medals in Asian Youth Boxing Championship
Indian women have clinched five gold, while men bagged two silver at Asian Youth Boxing Championship in Mongolia.
- All five women finalists, Naorem Chanu (51kg), Vinka (64kg) Sanamacha Chanu (75kg), Poonam (54kg) and Sushma (81kg) won Gold for the country in a phenomenal sweep.
- Among the men, Selay Soy (49kg) and Ankit Narwal (60kg) settled for the second place after going down in their respective summit clashes.
- India signed off with 12 medals in the event with bronze coming from Arundhati Choudhury (69kg), Komalpreet Kaur (81kg), Jasmine (57kg), Satender Singh (91kg) and Aman (91kg).