Why Your Body Needs Omega 3 Fatty Acids
“Fish oils can be combined together with diet and exercise to reduce triglycerides levels in the blood”
Fish oils are derived from the tissues of oily fish as they contain both omega 3 fatty acids – EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid). Humans cannot produce their own omega 3 fatty acids, therefore external intake of these fatty acids is important to maintain health. Fish oil is one of the most popular dietary supplements and fish oil capsules can be taken after consulting a doctor.
Health Benefits Of Fish Oil
- Scientific evidence suggests that omega 3 acids can reduce swelling, pain and inflammation. It also helps in reducing signs and symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis
- Fish oils helps to lower high-density lipoproteins (HDL). Omega 3 fats are also essential nutrients that are important for preventing and managing heart diseases
- Adding fish oils along with antidepressants or mood stabilizers could be beneficial to prevent the recurrence of depression
- Researchers have found positive associations between cognitive functioning and fish oil supplements
- The fatty acids present in fish oil are precursors of DHA, which plays a major role in the functioning of the central nervous system
- Fish oils can be combined together with diet and exercise to reduce triglycerides levels in the blood
- Omega 3 fish oil nourishes hair follicles for shinier and stronger hair
- Omega 3 fish oil helps to reduce skin dryness and aids in keeping the skin healthy and supple
Fish Oil Capsules
The best way to incorporate omega 3 and omega 6 fats in your diet is to have freshly caught salmon. However, the possibility of acquiring fresh fish for daily intake is a difficult reality. Hence, taking the supplements in the form of capsules will provide you with the benefits of the omega fats. The common fishes for producing fish oils are salmon, mackerel, cod liver, halibut, sardines and herring.
You can also consider adding fish oil supplements to your daily diet regime to witness improvements in your heart, skin, brain, body and hair health. If you are averse to fish oil pills, ensure you consume a minimum of two servings of fatty fish every week, to meet your dietary requirement of omega 3 fats.
- Fish oil (omega 3 fatty acids) supplements usually do not have negative side effects. If side effects do occur, they typically include minor gastrointestinal symptoms, such as indigestion, belching, nausea, rash and diarrhoea
- Omega 6 fatty acids when consumed in large amounts without omega 3 fatty acids, may cause inflammation which leads to chronic illness
- Omega 3 fatty acid supplements may extend bleeding time. Thus, those who are on anticoagulants (blood thinners) or non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) should discuss the use of omega 3 fatty acid supplements with a healthcare provider before consuming the same