Healthy Herbal Infusion
Chamomile tea is derived from the chamomile flower which ¡s known for its medicinal and beauty properties. It is grown mostly ¡n Rome, Italy and Germany. Chamomile has a delicate fruity flavour and is known to treat insomnia, stomach aches and skin related problems.
Advantages Of The Flower
Treating Wounds And Cuts: It is an ancient belief that chamomile tea can be applied on wounds. It heals cuts and wounds as it has the ability to reduce inflammation with its antioxidant and antimicrobial properties.
Calms Muscle Spasms: Research shows that taking chamomile tea raises levels of urine glycine, an element that calms muscle spasms. It is also considered a good home remedy for menstrual cramps.
Helps In Treating Diabetes: People suffering from hyperglycaemia should consume a cup of chamomile tea daily, as it reduces the symptoms.
Promotes Sleep: This tea works wonders on those who suffer from insomnia because ¡t calms the nervous system and thereby allowing better sleep.
Promotes Healthy: Skin It has antiseptic and anti- inflammatory properties which helps cure skin irritations such as acne, eczema and allergies.
Although chamomile tea has many health benefits, ¡t also has proven side effects. People suffering from ragweed pollen allergy should not drink this tea. It is also not recommended during pregnancy as it has factors that could cause an abortion. It is also not advisable for people who are taking blood thinners, as ¡t contains a substance called coumarin which is a blood thinner.
Making The Perfect Cup Of Chamomile Tea
- Take one tea bag or one heaped spoonful of dried chamomile flower or chamomile tea.
- Boil 250ml of water.
- Add the tea bag or loose tea to your cup. In case if you are using loose tea use a strainer to filter.
- Cool the boiled water a little and pour it in a cup. Do not add hot boiling water as it spoils the flavour and aroma.
- Let the tea bag or loose tea leaves steep into the water for five to ten minutes so that it gets flavoured.
- Remove the tea bag from the cup or strain the tea into another cup ¡f loose tea is used.
- Enjoy your perfect cup of chamomile tea.
Chamomile Tea And Limeade
2 teaspoons chamomile tea or tea bags
1/3 cup lime juice (from 3 limes)
1/2 cup sugar Lime slices, for serving
In two cups of boiling water, brew the tea for four minutes and strain or take out the bag. Let it cool completely. Meanwhile, put sugar and halt cup water in a small saucepan and let it boil, stirring it until the sugar is dissolved. Let it cool completely again, then mix it with the tea and lime juice in a pitcher. Place it in the fridge until its ready to serve. You can store it for two days. Serve or drink with ice and the lemon wedges.