Foods That Affect Your Child’s Behaviour
As the healthy life of a baby begins with good nutrition, always ensure your child ¡s being provided with small healthy meals, fresh fruits, homemade food and plenty of water. Also, since it has been proved that food alters the mood and behaviour in the children, the locus should be on their overall nutritional intake.
Firstly, it would be best to cut out processed foods which contain preservatives and several additives that atlect the growth and behaviour of babies negatively. The symptoms seen in babies with behavioural problems include mood swings, lack of concentration, hyperactivity, anxiety, restlessness and lack of proper sleep.
These symptoms should not be ignored at any point, because the body of a child can adopt this unhealthy lifestyle, making it harder to get rid of, if left untreated. Hence, it Is the responsibility of the parents to observe their child and consult a nutrition and diet specialist, to help their child by providing proper nutrition and enforcing good dietary habits, since a healthy and balanced diet can make a huge difference in behavioural problems in children. Here are some important points to adhere to.
- Encourage your child to eat breakfast regularly. This meal should include homemade porridge with apple, boiled egg, yogurt, milk, banana etc.
- Behavioural problems are seen more in a hungry child. So make sure your child eats regularly and doesn’t starve.
- Give your child foods that have a low glycaemic index, because sugary foods make kids hyper. It has also been proved scientifically that sugar has a negative impact on behaviour.
- Things containing preservatives, artificial colours and flavourings, synthetic acidifiers should be avoided, as children who consume additive-free foods are healthier, more stable and concentrate better.
- Foods rich in omega 3 fatty acids should be included in your child’s diet. For example, fish are rich in some beneficial fatty acids that helps to stabilise mood swings, improve concentration and learning abilities.
- Children should eat foods rich in iron and zinc.
- Common food allergens including eggs, nuts, corn etc, should be taken care of while preparing food for kids.
- Candies, packed juices and other beverages contain sodium benzoate which causes a negative impact on the behaviour of children. Hence, avoid these and offer your kids fresh juices instead.